The Bay Pines veterans administration healthcare system needed additional space in their medical campus to address the mental health needs of west central Florida. To build a multi-level, 178,380 gross square foot addition to the main hospital building and renovate the existing mental health facility into a clinic, Cardno provided civil engineering, landscape architecture, environmental assessments, and additional engineering assistance.
Our design had to seamlessly incorporate the pending addition into the existing building and plan for future renovations and additions. We also worked closely with the Southwest Florida Water Management District to meet local stormwater requirements and the Florida State Historical Preservation Board to maintain the campus’s historic significance.
Challenges and solutions:
- relocate the campus utility center located at the proposed additional site
- evaluated three sites for a new utility center using detailed subsurface utility engineering to maximize use of existing infrastructure
- prior to shutting down the existing utility center, designed, installed, tested and commissioned a new utility center to provide continuous utility service to the hospital
- provide LEED certification and low impact development
- worked with the Florida State Historical Preservation Board to maintain the historic campus, including the preservation of large oak trees
- delivered a LEED silver rating
- designed in compliance with Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) stormwater requirements
- revised campus-wide permits to comply with SWFWMD stormwater requirements.