The historic Columbia Hospital for Women, located at 2425 L Street, NW in Washington, D.C., was transformed into a 394,000 sf residential/mixed-use facility now named “The Columbia Residences”.
The 6-story hospital was built in 1915 in the neoclassical Italian Renaissance Style including two Y-shaped wings, a red tile roof and open-air porches. Two new 9-story towers were built on either side of the original hospital.
The new facility includes approximately 225 condominiums and 28,000 sf of ground floor retail space. In addition, there are two levels of below-grade parking totalling 147,500 sf containing approximately 330 spaces.
As with all conversion/renovation projects, The Columbia Residences presented distinct design challenges, including maintaining the landmark status of the structure and site.