St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) has seen record growth in recent years. Due to this growth, PIE has contracted with Cardno to make landside and parking lot improvements.
A major component and hurdle to this project is Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) construction of the adjacent Gateway Express Project that will result in right-of-way takings to the airport. The pending impacts of the Gateway Express project coupled with the need for additional and more efﬁcient parking facilities have necessitated a new landside parking lot improvement design. The design will address internal circulation, parking, and access to the Gateway Express roadways. To facilitate additional parking expansion, the design will also incorporate the ability to add a future parking structure.
Cardno’s role included:
- Improvements to airport landside circulation roads
- Improvements to long- and short- term, rental car, and employee parking lots, maximizing efﬁciencies of parking operations and revenue
- Improvements to infrastructure and utilities
- Enhancements of vehicular and pedestrian conveyance
- Coordination and maintain effective communication with FDOT and the design/build team of the adjacent Gateway Express project, minimizing airport impacts
- Data collection
- Design report
- Parking garage concept study
- Construction documents and speciﬁcations
- Coordination and meetings
- Bidding/award evaluations
- Post design services