In 2011, Cardno assisted the Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) in Sarasota County, Florida to secure a $1 million Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) grant. Their subsequent work to administer the grant was recognised by the EPA for site-related successes and the implementation of a model brownfields program.
Cardno is proud to have worked alongside the MPO every step of the way, providing brownfields consulting, support and assessment services. In 2015, as a coalition member of Manatee County, the MPO was awarded a further $500,000 assessment grant.
Since the MPO’s assessment program was established in early 2012, Cardno has completed 35 Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs), 17 Phase II ESAs (with associated Quality Assurance Project Plans/Health & Safety Plans), as well as Clean-up Planning and Site Re-use Planning.
With extensive experience in the field, our team delivered a range of additional services, including environmental remediation, indoor air quality, asbestos/lead-based paint, brownfields education, property Identification, and programmatic support.
Our program support work focused largely on community outreach and involvement. The outreach included area and site inventories, and public, developer and healthcare initiative meetings, as well as follow-up meetings with each of the MPO’s municipal stakeholders seeking to benefit from EPA assessment funding.
As a result of our work together, the MPO has achieved a number of successful project outcomes, including:
- redevelopment of a potential grocery store site to support a fresh food supermarket within a food desert area (Rogers Plaza Fresh Food) – completed Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments to support New Market Tax Credit and HHS Grants (Bradenton CCRA)
- assessment and asbestos services for the former Ringling Circus site (City of Venice)
- expansion of the Robinson Preserve (Manatee County)
- assessment and re-use planning for Wares Creek (City of Bradenton)
- assessment, source removal and demolition asbestos services for the former Shell Station (City of Palmetto)
- assessment of the former Olympia Theatre (City of Palmetto)
- site assessment and source removal for Heartland Fertilizer (City of Palmetto)
- assessment/remediation supporting open-space green space for Edinfield Property.