Located in the heart of upstate South Carolina, amid the “textile crescent” and just outside of the City of Greenville’s limits, lays what little remains of Poe Mill. Originally encompassing 11 acres, the property was subdivided to facilitate the planned redevelopment of the Poe Mill Park.
The Greenville County Redevelopment Authority received $800,000 in federal grant funding from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to clear the Poe Mill Historical Plaza and Poe Mill parking lot, which was mainly remaining rubble and debris from the mill that previously burned down. Cardno provided design that included construction of an educational wetlands, walking trails, a skate park, splash pad, performance area, shaded patio, and a historic courtyard that will incorporate the two remaining smokestacks on the property into a visual reminder of the mill’s importance to the community.
Constructed in 1896, Poe Mill operated for nearly 100 years, primarily for spinning the cotton grown in the lower portion of the state into thread and then weaving the thread into fabric.