The Australian Government, through the Joint Understanding, is committed to leading design and construction related activities associated with a wide range of technically and conceptually complex capital infrastructure activities in PNG. This includes master planning, scoping, design and feasibility assessments, as well as tendering and construction-related activities.
Cardno is providing project management support to the Australia Government through the TEU program in PNG, which comprises a team of approximately 20 technical advisers.
Projects within the TEU program include:
- Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit (ANGAU) Memorial Hospital in Lae – Early works, refurbishment and upgrades to existing facilities (approx. $15M)
- University of PNG – New buildings including School of Business and Public Policy ($35M), Lecture Theatre ($6M) and Student Services Building ($6.5M) and upgrade to general facilities ($3M)
- Institute of Public Administration – New buildings including Administration Building ($6M) and Library and Learning Centre ($5M)
- Yangoru Secondary School – Design and Construction ($5M)
- Port Moresby Magisterial Services Headquarters and Court Complex – Masterplan
- National Museum and Art Gallery – Masterplan and refurbishment works ($2M)
- Ramu Highway-related works – Scoping Study review
- HAZMAT (including asbestos containing materials) audits and recommendations for a variety of sites across PNG.
Our extensive infrastructure development and project management experience supports the TEU team of advisers in the following ways:
- providing key technical advice and inputs to a range of master planning, scoping and design, architectural, engineering and construction-related activities
- developing and implementing procurement and contract management systems
- providing input into the development and implementation of effective HAZMAT management strategies and building the capacity of local PNG construction and other business and industry
- developing effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems
- providing project management, contract administration and site supervision services for large-scale and complex capital construction activities
- conducting independent technical peer design reviews
- undertaking project activity assessments to provide independent advice to the Australian Government on relevant issues.
Cardno is successfully delivering the TEU program by drawing on our expertise in managing large and complex building infrastructure projects in developing countries within tight timeframes and budget allocations. This enables us to deliver a high standard of design, documentation and construction-related outcomes. We also recognise that by working in partnership with subcontractors and sub-consultants we help manage stakeholder expectations and ensure key priorities and objectives are met.