Cardno assisted the Florida Department of Transportation with the rebuilding and widening of Interstate 275 (I-275), from east of State Road 60 to the Hillsborough River in downtown Tampa, Florida. The project aimed to alleviate congestion on the busy corridor, particularly during peak commuting times.
The $215 million design-build project focussed on the reconstruction of the southbound interstate in the nominated area, as well as northbound I-275 from east of State Road 60 to Himes Avenue.
FDOT engaged Cardno as the lead consultant responsible for:
- construction administration
- pre-construction design review
- monitoring and inspecting on-site construction operations
- inspection and testing of materials and quality of workmanship.
Cardno’s work on the project included construction engineering and inspection for roadway and bridge reconstruction, asphalt and concrete pavement, drainage, lighting, signalization, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) installations and signing.
Our team contributed to the successful project completion, which resulted in:
- four through-lanes in each direction
- a flatter profile to improve sight distance and decrease the risk of accidents
- improved interchanges to help move traffic on and off I-275
- a wide median to decrease cost and public impact when future improvements are built.