The upgrade has improved safety and traffic flow for the tens of thousands of people who rely on Hallam Road and the South Gippsland Highway every day, making their journey safer and more reliable.
Cardno was intimately involved through the whole project life cycle, assisting BMD to secure the work through the tender phase, resolving points of difference through both flood modelling outcomes and design innovation that refined the functional layout & improved safety outcomes. Cardno provided multidisciplinary engineering services and delivered detailed documentation for all works. Cardno’s involvement continued through the construction phase with the provision of traffic management design services.
Key benefits for the community include:
- Duplication of Hallam Road with new lanes between Ormond Road and the South Gippsland Highway
- Signalisation & major upgrade of the intersection of South Gippsland Highway / Hallam Rd
- New Signalised Intersection at the SUEZ Resource Recovery Precinct to help manage trucks entering and exiting
- New signalised pedestrian crossings
- New cycling and walking paths, 1.2 km long on both sides of Hallam Road and Evans Road
- Improved traffic flow and safety for the 40,000 drivers who rely on Hallam Road, South Gippsland Highway and Evans Road every day
- New bus stops on Hallam Road and Evans Road
- New bus queue jump lane on South Gippsland Highway
- Street lighting upgrades
- Improved road safety outcomes
In collaboration with BMD, Cardno provided multidisciplinary services, across our traffic, infrastructure, geotechnical and water disciplines, which included:
- Functional Layout Design services
- Traffic signal design services
- Traffic Management Staging Strategy and detailed design through the construction phase
- Traffic analysis to support detours of various movements to facilitate the works and improve construction outcomes
- Detailed design services, including horizontal alignment, vertical alignment, drainage network, flood modelling, shared user paths and bus stops.
- Documentation for construction, including MRPV, VicRoads, Council and Melbourne Water Authority approvals
- During construction providing alterative engineering solution and documentation to obtain approvals from MRPV, VicRoads and Council
- As-built documentation
A key challenge for this project during the development of a design that could be safely developed during the construction phase due to the highly trafficked environment with local road connections.
The team at Cardno are renowned for successful project delivery and the Hallam Road project didn’t disappoint. In consultation with the client, the project team were able to provide innovative solutions by thinking outside the box, developing design initiatives that added significant value to the project including substantial savings in costs and time, plus reducing construction risks. A solution focused project team, together with a strong, collaborative client relationship, were the key contributors to the project success.