ESIP is a development assistance program supported by the Australian Government (DFAT) and implemented by Cardno.
ESIP is working with PNG partners to support improved planning, prioritisation, delivery and sustainability of economic and social infrastructure. Priority infrastructure sub-sectors for the Program include energy (on-grid and off-grid electrification); telecommunications (including internet services), water and sanitation and other priority social infrastructure.
ESIP is also supporting DFAT and international partners to advance PNG’s state owned enterprise (SOE) reform agenda, which is improving the operational performance and financial sustainability of SOEs, and helping them deliver better services.
Gender equality and social inclusion and safeguards are a focus for the Program and are mainstreamed across projects and operations.
Key outcome areas during ESIP’s first four years (2019 to 2022) include:
- an increased number of infrastructure projects are effectively planned, managed and implemented by relevant Government of PNG agencies;
- focus infrastructure sectors have evidence based, prioritised infrastructure plans and processes for their implementation and review; and
- legislative and administrative reform agendas exist to improve policies, regulatory structures and planning for infrastructure investment.
Projects within the ESIP Program include:
- Coral Sea Cable Landing Station construction, helping bring next-generation connectivity to the people of PNG
- Pawarim Komuniti – the Off Grid Electrification Program, supporting access to clean energy in rural and remote communities
- Strategic planning, advisory and capacity support to PNG Power Limited to improve its on-grid electrification capabilities
- Supporting Water PNG with the development of a 20-year masterplan for water and waste services throughout Port Moresby
- Redevelopment of the community market in Kimbe, contributing to economic opportunity for the people of West New Britain province and improve public health and safety