The City of Bartow purchased the vacant Thompson & Company Cigar Factory property as part of their vision to enhance the surrounding community through redevelopment/re-use of the property while preserving the historical asset. The former factory structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was closed in 1989 as a result of limited maintenance and environmental conditions (suspected asbestos-containing materials, as well as bird droppings within the structure).
Cardno provided a variety of environmental engineering services, including:
- Completion of Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments of the site resulting in a No Further Assessment status from FDEP
- Development of Brownfields Designation and Brownfields Site Rehabilitation Agreement
- Completion of Asbestos, Lead Based Paint and Indoor Air Quality Surveys
- Completion of Asbestos, Mold and Lead Based Paint Abatement services to prepare site for redevelopment
- Radiological screenings to address the potential for radon within the structure
- Limited source removal (soil) to bring the site to residential cleanup standards
Assessment services also included Phase I & II ESA services and asbestos screening of the contiguously-adjacent former utility building and associated land.