Successful delivery of Portion C of Australia’s largest regional infrastructure project
Australia’s largest regional infrastructure project, the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade, is a joint initiative from the NSW and Federal Governments to improve approximately 155 kilometres of the Pacific Highway between Hexham (near Newcastle) and the Queensland border.
In a joint venture with Arup, Cardno was engaged by Pacific Complete (a joint venture between Laing O’Rourke and WSP) to deliver the detailed design of Portion C (Sections 7, 8 and 9), which extends from Devils Pulpit to Broadwater. This section chiefly follows the existing Pacific Highway through the Devils Pulpit and Tabbimoble State forests, bypassing Woodburn and Broadwater.
Our commitment included a four-lane divided carriageway, with provision for up to six lanes, which traverses a series of coastal foothills and floodplains for a total length of approximately 32km. Innovative solutions were implemented for the project’s major river crossings, with particular consideration of the swamp areas, and numerous and extensive floodplains.
The extensive project involved
- Geometric design of the main alignment
- Structural design of 28 bridges and additional infrastructure elements\
- Hydrology and environmental design
- Establishment and maintenance of an Environmental Compliance Register
- Development of a fully integrated 3D design model, using Building Information Modelling (BIM) technologies.
In recognition of our innovative digital solutions, the project won the 12d International Innovation Award 2016 in the Customisation category.
For more information contact:
Asia Pacific Transport Director
Cardno provides innovative solutions to complex project challenges
- Engineering: Road Design, Bridge Design and all associated Civil, Structural and Utility technical designs.
- Geotechnical: Investigations, Interpretative reports and design.
- Planning: including Transport and Traffic modelling.
- Sustainability: ESD solutions, GreenStar Certified design, and Certification assessments.
- Surveying and Spatial
- Aerial Data Acquisition
- Environmental: Assessments, Management & Restoration, Permits & Compliance.
- Asset Management
For a quality conversation with an expert about innovative solutions to your project challenges, contact us HERE.
Learn more about how Cardno is making a difference to people and communities around the world. #Cardno75years