Brisbane City Council Planning Policy Update
Major Amendment Package H – restricting townhouse and apartment development
- Removes provisions in the low density residential zone code and the multiple dwelling code that allow for multiple dwellings to occur on larger, well-located sites in the low density residential zone.
- Changes 34 neighbourhood plans to remove provisions allowing multiple dwelling development in the low density residential zone.
Major Amendment Package J – increasing car parking for townhouse and apartment development
- Increases on site car parking standards for multiple dwellings from 1.4 to 2.25 parking spaces for 2-bedroom units and from 1.65 to 2.25 parking spaces for 3-bedroom units / 2.75 for 4-bedroom units.
- Removes the ability to provide reduced on site car parking where located within 400 metres walking distance of public transport.
Design Guides – townhouses and apartments up to 5 storeys
The New World City Design Guide: Subtropical homes for a Brisbane lifestyle - low-to-medium density residential design guide and the Design-led City – A design strategy for Brisbane have been released by Brisbane City Council.
The low-to-medium design guide emphasises context analysis and provides advice and support to encourage quality design of townhouses and apartments up to 5 storeys. Whilst a non-statutory document, the stated use includes development pre-lodgement and application discussions as well as informing a review of Brisbane City Plan 2014.
The design strategy outlines a draft vision for design quality across Brisbane’s built environment and includes actions such as:
- Prepare guidance documents
- Deliver demonstration projects
- Establish a system to monitor and review design outcomes
- Amend Brisbane City Plan 2014 to add a Design Planning Scheme Policy
- Incentivise design excellence through a rating scheme and awards program
You can have your say on the updated Planning Policy via written submissions to Brisbane City Council which can be made until 5pm 26 August 2019 (Major Amendment Packages H and J) and 5pm on 13 September 2019 (Design Guides).
Other changes to the Brisbane City Plan 2014 are proposed under Major Amendment Package C (streetscape design, bushfire assessment, air quality and service station/industrial development provisions and thresholds) which is open for public consultation until 5pm 9 September 2019.
If you would like to know more on the Brisbane City Council planning policy amendments, please contact our Brisbane office on +61 7 3369 9822.