EU/EDF Malawi — Support to the Agriculture SWAp (ASWAp) and Green Belt Initiative (GBI) Programme — Component 2 'Irrigation: Technical Assistance to the Department of Irrigation'
Cardno Emerging Markets (UK) Ltd has recently submitted a formal Expression of Interest and are hopeful of being invited to tender for the above EU/EDF-funded Project. The objective of this contract is to contribute to implementing component 2 'Irrigation' of the support to the agriculture sector-wide approach (ASWAp) and green belt initiative (GBI) programme in its 2 subcomponents:
a) support to the establishment of the National Irrigation Development Fund;
b) development of medium- and large-scale irrigation schemes.
In particular, the contract aims at assisting the Department of Irrigation in ensuring effective and efficient implementation of the programme through capacity-building and provision of technical and operational assistance to the programme coordination and collaborating institutions.
Contributing to the establishment and operationalisation of the National Irrigation Fund (its investment framework, financial and procurement processes) and farmers' improved access to irrigated agriculture.
Expertise will be required in areas such as programme management and coordination, finance and procurement, M&E, reporting, and facilitation of irrigation development among others.
The start date is provisionally scheduled for January 2014. Project duration will be 36 months.
Irrigation Development Expert
(Long-Term – 36 months)
The following background and experience will be required:
- University degree in a relevant subject such as rural development, agriculture, land, water, infrastructure or natural resources development, civil engineering or similar
- A minimum of 10 years’ professional working experience in the rural sector in developing countries, including in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experienced in the design, supervision and management of medium and large-scale irrigation schemes
- In-depth knowledge of the processes, mechanisms and investment required for the development of medium and large-scale irrigation schemes
- Skilled in building the capacity of public and private sector organisations in the management of irrigation development projects and programmes.
- A skilled communicator adept at facilitating dialogue between public and private sector organisations and institutions
- An understanding of EU funding processes would be an advantage.
- Previous working experience in southern or eastern Africa preferred.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English