Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) technology is revolutionising critical data capture, offering aerial mapping solutions that are fast, accurate, and inexpensive.
Its uses are endless, covering everything from obtaining initial site data for planning purposes, monitoring construction and data capture for volume calculations and as-builts, to conformance reporting and monitoring for geotechnical/stabilisation works.
Surveying using UAS technology requires the use of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, or UAV, with some of the benefits of UAV surveying including:
- Rapid Workflow - Reduced time and cost to collect data, capture current aerial imagery and detailed surface models. The UAV is operational in seconds and completely autonomous.
- Increased Safety - Enables companies to survey large, rugged, hazardous and hard-to-reach areas without risking injury to the individual and the environment.
- Increased Efficiency - Accurate and current representation of land use, terrain, topography and features, which complements traditional surveying technologies.
Cardno takes a holistic approach to UAS by integrating GIS and survey to provide clients with a complete, precise, engineering-grade aerial mapping service.
Cardno’s UAV, an eBee RTK, is one of the first of its kind in Australia and provides a highly accurate and flexible mapping solution that works alongside existing GPS base stations to provide accuracy of down to +/- five centimetres for horizontal and +/- 10 centimetres for vertical, without the need for Ground Control Points (ground contours subject to site vegetation).
In Australia, Cardno has been certified by CASA to provide UAV surveying services for commercial projects and are expanding operations into New Zealand and the United States. We have surveyors and spatial analysts trained as certified pilots to undertake field capture and data reduction works.
UAV technology can be used to serve numerous professional markets and applications, including:
- Topographic Survey – high density of measurements resulting in very high detail products
- Site and Route Planning – reduced time and cost to map large areas
- Geo-referenced 2D Orthomosaic Photography – down to three centimetres resolution
- Safety and Progress Monitoring - monitor the change on a site over time
- Resource Mapping - volume calculation and mineral identification
- Disaster Analysis – real-time evidence gathering (erosion, flooding)
- Marketing Materials – golf courses, real estate
- Legal – ensure compliance with planning applications, verify project invoicing
- 3D Visualisation – urban & communication planning tools
- Multispectral Imaging - vegetation health analysis.
In addition to UAV surveying, our geospatial, mapping and surveying staff can also provide:
- Spatial data management
- Site analysis and cartography
- Mobile GIS
- Remote sensing
- Field data capture
- 3D modelling, and
- Web mapping and spatial data viewers.
To find out more about how we can help you contact:
+61 2 9597 9702
+61 2 4228 4133
+64 4 4780342
Peter Cornish pictured with Cardno’s UAV, an eBee RTK, which is one of the first of its kind in Australia.